- Toronto and Ottawa University Presentation – March 2009: A presentation prepared by Executive Director Susan Walsh on the work of USC Canada.
- The Global Politics of Food – August 2009: This was the theme of the August 2009 conference of the Couchiching Institute on Public Affairs. For the closing forum – a look at the future of food – USC Executive Director Susan Walsh delivered a clear and compelling case for a vision of a transformed global food system: Watch her presentation, or read it here (pdf).
Reports and Publications
- A Viable Food Future, September 2010, the Development Fund of Norway – USC Canada is part of a group of international organizations that contributed to the research of this valuable new report. which makes the case for ecological agriculture. Download it now in English or in French.
- Pathways to Resilience, November 2008, Canadian Food Security Policy Group - this document is the result of our efforts to collectively examine how the work of our partners in the South might inform Canada’s response to the Global Food Crisis in a way that acknowledges the central role of smallholder agriculture and its long-term sustainability and resilience. Read the six accompanying case studies as well.
- Svalbard’s Doomsday Vault: The Global Seed Vault Raises Political/Conservation Debate, February 2008, ETC Group
- Food’s Failed Estates = Paris’s Hot Cuisine… Food Sovereignty – à la Cartel?, January 2008, ETC Group
- Extreme Genetic Engineering: An Introduction to Synthetic Biology, January 2007, ETC Group
- Down on the Farm: The Impact of Nano-scale Technologies on Food and Agriculture, November 2004, ETC Group
- Crop Research to Benefit Poor Farmers in Marginal Areas of the Developing World: A Review of Technical Challenges and Tools, December 2006. By Mauricio R. Bellon, Bioversity International.
- Genetic Resource Policies: What is Diversity Worth to Farmers?, November 2005, By Melinda Smale and Amanda King, IFPRI.
- World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development, November 2008, World Bank.
- The Future of Small Farms for Poverty Reduction and Growth. May 2007. By IFPRI.
- Agrobiodiversity Jargon Buster. By GRAIN.
- Transformation of Agriculture – Reflexive Governance for Agrobiodiversity, 2006. By Franziska Wolff, Reflexive Governance for Sustainable Development.
- Sowing Autonomy: Gender And Seed Politics In Semi Arid India, 2005. By Carine Pionetti, International Institute for Environment and Development.
- Agricultural Production and Soil Nutrient Mining in Africa: Implications for Resource Conservation and Policy Development March 2005, By Julio Henao and Carlos Baanante
- Sustainability and Social Justice in the Global Food System: Linking Conservation, Agroecology, and Food Security. 2005, By Kathleen McAfee
Farmers Rights, Seed Laws, and Intellectual Property Rights
- Biotechnology: Addressing Key Trade and Sustainability Issues, ICTSD, December 2006
- A Brave New World: Where Biotechnology and Human Rights Intersect. By the Canadian Biotechnology Secretariat, October 2005.
- Tackling GMO Contamination: Making Segregation and Identity Preservation a Reality, June 2005. By Friends of the Earth.
- Considerations regarding the Co-existence of GMO, non-GMO and organic farming, 2003. By Greenpeace.
- Third World Network Biosafety Briefings, February 2006. By Third World Network.
- The State of Food and Agriculture 2003-2004, 2004. By the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- Preserving Biodiversity and Promoting Biosafety, May 2005. By the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- The Role of Biotechnology in the Conservation, Sustainable Use and Genetic Enhancement of Bioresources in Fragile Ecosystems, March 2005. By Prashanth S. Raghavan and Ajay Parida, M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation.
- Private Research And Public Goods: Implications Of Biotechnology For Biodiversity, April 2004. By T. Raney and P. Pingali, FAO’s Agricultural and Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Who Decides? GM Crops in the Developing World, June 2005. By Ehsan Masood, Panos Institute.
- Public Participation in the Implementation of the Biosafety Protocol, February 2005. By Chee Yoke Ling and Lim Li Lin (Third World Network).
- Who Benefits from GM Crops? Monsanto and the Corporate-Driven Genetically Modified Crop Revolution, January 2006. By Friends of the Earth International.
- The Water Footprint of Biofuels: A Drink or Drive Issue? – Published in May 2009, this document examines the issue of water in the agrofuels debate and questions how the agrofuel push will impact water resources.
- GRAIN’s Seedling Magazine – Agrofuels Special Issue, July 2007. GRAIN agrofuels page provides a continuing resource.
- A Special Grist Series on Biofuels. 2006. Online US Magazine Grist provides an overview of the issues.
- The Factory Farming – Ethanol Connection. By the Beyond Factory Farming Coalition (Canada).
- Biofuels – An Energy, Environmental or Agricultural Policy? – Canadian Parliamentary Information and Research Service of the Library of Parliament
- The Challenge of Sustainable Bioenergy: Balancing climate protection, biodiversity and development policy – OneSky Canada et al
- Biofuels: Is the cure worse than than disease? Round Table on Sustainable Development, OECD
- Biofuels – At What Cost? International Institute for Sustainable Development, Global Subsidies Initiative
- African Call for a Moratorium on Agrofuels. By African Civil Society Representatives, November 2007.
- Biofuels In India: Will They Deliver Or Destroy?, Pastapur India Statement. By Indian Civil Society Representatives, December 2007.
- Rapeseed biofuel `produces more greenhouse gas than oil or petrol. By The Times, September 2007
- Exploding the biofuel myths. By Eric Holtz-Giménez in Le Monde diplomatique, July 2007
- Ethanol as Public Policy in Canada. By the George Morris Centre, November 2007.
- The Agrofuels Trap. By Laura Carlsen, Americas Program special report, November 2007.
- How Biofuels Could Starve the Poor. By C. Ford Runge & Benjamin Senauer in Foreign Affairs, May/June 2007.
- Bill C-33: Proposed Canadian Renewable Fuels Bill.
- Agrofuels – Towards a Reality Check in Nine Key Areas. By 11 organizations, June 2007
- Agroenergy: Myths and Impacts in Latin America. By the Pastoral Land Commission and Network for Social Justice and Human Rights, October 2007.
- Paving the Way for Agrofuels: EU policy, sustainability criteria and climate calculations. By the Transnational Institute, September 2007.
- Agrofuels in Africa: the Impacts on Land, Food and Forests. Case Studies from Benin, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. By the African Biodiversity Network, July 2007.
- Land Clearing and the Biofuel Carbon Debt. By the Nature Conservancy and University of Minnesota, February 2008.
- Biofuels Deemed a Greenhouse Threat. By Elisabeth Rosenthal in New York Times, February 2008.
- Biofuels switch a mistake, say researchers. By Tristan Farrow in the Guardian, August 2007.
- The Last Straw. By George Monbiot in the Guardian, February 2008.
- Sustainable biofuels: prospects and challenges. By The Royal Society, January 2008.
- Sustainability criteria and indicators for bioenergy. By Núcleo Amigos da Terra Brasil, FOREN, Instituto Vitae Civilis, February 2006.
- When food makes fuel : The promises and challenges of biofuels. By Joachim von Braun, IFPRI, 2007.
- Developing bioenergy — economic and social issues : bioenergy and agriculture — promises and challenges. By Daniel G. de la Torre Ugarte, IFPRI, 2006.
- What we know and what we should know: towards a sustainable biomass strategy. By the Wuppertal Institute, June 2007.
- Agrofuels: Fuelling or Fooling Europe? The problems of using plant-based oils in power stations and vehicles. By Friends of the Earth Europe.
- Oil Palm and Other Commercial Tree Plantations, Monocropping: Impacts on Indigenous Peoples’ Land Tenure and Resource Management Systems and Livelihoods. By Victoria Tauli-Corpuz and Parshuram Tamang, May 2007.